1/15/2010

Idea Overload!

I've had a busy week this week and I'm just now having time to catch up on all my blog reading. That, combined with some of the office redecorating projects my new boss has tasked me with has totally awakened a monster. I have so many ideas for projects that they are about to come spilling out of my ears and all over the dog.

#1. Build a desk.
For a while, I have been absolutely salivating over a Parsons Desk from West Elm. Until now.
Just a little bit ago I sat down to read my favorite shelter blog Young House Love. Lo and behold, today's post featured a site that teaches you how to DIY the furniture pieces you love to dog-ear from your West Elm and Pottery Barn catalogs. I do not know who this girl is, but I just want to give her a big hug. Honey, you just saved us about $250! The site is Knock Off Wood. You're welcome.


#2. Master bedroom upgrade.
I. HATE. THE. COLOR. IN. OUR. MASTER. BEDROOM. (and bathroom)
I feel better now that I've gotten that off my chest. I picked this color before we moved into the house and basically off of a computer screen. Bad idea, friends. I had envisioned this beautiful teal-gray. What did I end up with? BLUE. Or, as my friends have dubbed it, Adult Blue. They all like it. I hate it. I don't think Billy really cares. Either way, it must go. Enter design*sponge. I saw this redesign from a person that started with BLUE, and was blessed with this...

HOLY SANCTUARY, BATMAN! I absolutely love this. I think I can achieve something similar for not much more than a couple gallons of paint and by using a lot of what we already have on-hand. Yes, please!

#3. Let there be cake (stands)!
I think this idea is freaking brilliant. This came from a bride on a budget via design*sponge again. I love cake stands. If I had unlimited space in which to store them, I would probably buy every single one I see. Luckily for Billy and our bank account, I do not. This clever chick-a-dee got some textured plates and candle holders from her nearby Goodwill store, glued the plate to the candle holder, and then spray-painted the pair white. BRILLIANT. I'm gonna do this!


My absolute favorite part of all these little projects is that they are very wallet-friendly. As you know from previous posts, part of our goal for this year was to get down and dirty with Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and turn our money frowns upside-down. I think we can spend less than $150 on all of these and stay well within our budget. I don't know about you, but I think that would get a big DR Seal of Approval!

OK back to reading. There are still over 200 new items in my Google Reader.

2 comments: