3/08/2014

Hello again!

Hi friends! It is hard to believe that we are already a week into March, and that 2014 is nearly 3 months old! For me, 2013 was a fantastic year. I started the year by leaving a not-so-great job, I turned 30 in March, and finished my MBA in November. Needless to say, the year FLEW by, but it was great.

Yesterday, I celebrated the 10th anniversary of my 21st birthday…or, I turned 31. I took the day off from work, slept in, and generally just enjoyed the day. It was a gorgeous day outside, as Mother Nature thankfully loosened her wintery vice grip on us. I tell you what, I am OVER winter and I’ll take 60-degree temps and sunny skies any day of the week! Since it was so nice out, Billy and I walked down to a local East Nashville bakery called YEAST Nashville to try out their kolaches.

Now, y’all know I’m a Texas girl, right? And kolaches are a Texas staple that I have sorely missed living in Tennessee. Kolaches are a breakfast item that are very popular in Texas, developed by Czechoslovakian folks (there’s a big Czech/German population in Texas), and usually consist of sausage and cheese, wrapped up in a fluffy pastry dough. The kolaches we got from YEAST did not disappoint! They get their sausage from Elgin, so you know it’s legit! I got to meet the owner, Bill, and talk to him for a few minutes. Turns out, we grew up about 10 minutes from each other in Spring, TX! Funny how small the world is. We both agreed that our lives would be complete if there were a Whataburger and Pappasitos here in TN.

Anyhoo, we really enjoyed our goodies and will certainly be back. It’s nice to have small piece of home in Nashville. Later in the evening we met up with some friends for dinner at Mafiaoza’s in the 12th South neighborhood for some delicious Italian food. Then we went back to our house to enjoy cake and ice cream that Billy made for me…from scratch! I don’t know too many ladies out there with husbands that make their birthday cakes and ice cream, so I’ll consider myself a lucky duck! He made Barefoot Contessa’s chocolate buttercream cake and Brown Butter Almond Brittle ice cream out of the Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams cookbook. The best thing about all that? I got to eat it again for breakfast! 

So, I think it’s safe to say I had a fab birthday. I have some truly amazing friends and I woke up this morning feeling incredibly blessed. Here’s what a 31-year-old looks like, in case you’re wondering...photobomb courtesy of my friend Niki.




I’m really glad to be back on the blog – several people have asked if I was going to start blogging again now that I’m done with school, and I am excited to get back into it. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment